Thursday, May 3, 2012

Moral Dilema Study

1. The topic I chose was drunk driving. To be honest, I picked this topic because I thought it wold be the easiest. But when I started researching about it, I found out a lot. I found out that three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some point in their lives. On New Year’s Day, 468 people were killed in car accidents. Alcohol-impaired driving contributed to 40 percent of them.In 2009, 14 percent of children ages 14 and younger killed in crashes died because of alcohol. The government is trying to stop drunk driving by putting up stricter laws and more police as patrols.

2. I think the government should try and stop this issue. I think that the stricter laws and more patrol police is a good way to try. By stopping this issue, children will be safer, other civilians will be safer, the increase of deaths will, drop, and will save lives. I choose the Common Good Approach because I am thinking what would be the best for everyone, and that is stopping Drunk Driving.

3. Here are some things the government did to stop this issue. Pass a national law that prohibits any open alcoholic drinks in public places. Make sure repeat drunk driving offenders are wearing electronic devices such as ankle bracelets at all times. Furthermore, all repeat offenders should have to install ignition interlock instruments (IIDs) in their vehicles. Attach a special marking to the license plates of repeat offenders. However, if someone else has to drive the repeat offender's vehicle, they could be mistaken for being a drunk driver. Since the high percentage of drunk drivers are young, restrict driving for young drivers including not allowing them to drive after a certain time. Increase DUI awareness and education for students in elementary and high schools. Creating a sense of responsibility in young adults and children is also key in further reducing drunken driving incidences in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I also agree that there should be stricter laws for drunk driving.

    ReplyDelete