Thursday, March 29, 2012

Goliath

Goliath. What does that make you think of? It makes me think of something big, bigger than a human, and something very powerful. Goliath is the title of the book I started reading.
First of all, this is the third book of the series. The first two are Leviathan and Behemoth. If I remember well, Yaroslav read this book and said it was very good. To be honest, when I’ve read the first two books, I stopped reading the series. I'm not sure why. When I read Yaroslav's blog on this book, I wanted to start reading it again.The book is about an Austrian Prince during World War I. He was kidnaped away from home aboard an airship: The Leviathan. There he meets a girl (disguised as a boy to serve in the British air force) named Deryn. They became very good friends. They went through many adventures. In this book, they have heard of a weapon that could end the war and are trying to find the inventor, Nikola Tesla.In the book, the author invents many sophisticated weapons and war machines. There are more developed weapons, ships, airplanes, technology and more. I just can’t imagine how horrible World War I would have been if people really had those new, powerful weapons. So many people died because of poisonous gas and artillery. Imagine the number of deaths in World War I if soldiers used those weapons.Today, many people are trying to build new, stronger weapons.                                                                         


All these weapons and machines were made to kill. One bullet in the head-you’re a goner. Instead of building more things to help the environment, people are making things that will hurt the environment. If we put the same time and effort to make things better in the world, people would not die of starvation. Unfortunately the history of the two World Wars didn’t teach us much.   

1 comment: